Once you’ve started to plan your dream wedding and look for the perfect venue, it’s easy to get overwhelmed. If you’ve never done it before, figuring out all the ins and outs can be quite a challenge. Sure, your wedding venue should have great looks, but there’s more to consider when choosing one.
Before you say “I do” to any wedding location, you’ll want to grill them with some hard-hitting questions. So what should you ask? We’ve listed 30 of the most important questions that should help you in the process.
Questions on availability
1. Is your ideal wedding date up for grabs? If not, are there any open dates? Perhaps there’s a waitlist you could join?
2. How far ahead of time can you reserve the venue? Don’t wait until the last minute to secure your spot!
3. How many hours are included in the rental, and what’s the earliest you can arrive and the latest you can stay? You’ll want to make sure you have ample time for both setup and cleanup.
4. What are the rates for different days and times? Keep in mind that Friday and Saturday evenings may be pricier than Sunday afternoons, and certain seasons could also affect pricing.
Questions on vendors
5. Does the venue have a list of trusted and recommended vendors for you to choose from? Having access to a list of pre-vetted vendors can be a real time-saver and can help ensure that everything runs smoothly.
6. Can you bring in vendors who aren’t on the approved list? If so, are there any specific guidelines or limitations you need to be aware of?
Questions on the event
7. Can the venue handle your guest list? You don’t want anyone feeling cramped, so it’s good to know the maximum capacity.
8. Music makes the party, but will you need to bring your own speakers or rent equipment?
9. Is there any backup plan in case of rain or other unpleasant weather?
10. What are the restrictions on decor? Some venues have specific rules you won’t want to break.
11. Make sure you know when your vendors can arrive to set up and when they need to be out of there.
Questions on payment
12. To confirm your reservation, you’ll need to put down a deposit. Don’t forget to ask how much!
13. Payment schedules can vary, so you should have a discussion about it before.
14. It’s also important to know what’s included in the total cost of your reservation. Are there any additional fees or charges for services like cleaning?
15. Life happens, and sometimes plans change. What’s the cancellation policy for your reservation?
16. Flexibility is key, but there may come a time when you need to make changes to your reservation. When is the last possible date to do so?
17. Accessibility is important to us. Is the site handicap accessible? You want to make sure all guests can enjoy all the fun. Ask whether the site handicap is accessible.
18. Are there any noise restrictions you need to be aware of?
19. Restroom availability is a must. How many bathrooms are on site? Do you need to rent additional portable restrooms to accommodate your guests?
20. Is parking available on-site? How much space is there? Will guests be charged for parking?
Questions about food
21. Does the venue have an in-house caterer? If so – are the food and beverages included in the rental fee?
22. In case there’s no in-house caterer, can you freely pick a caterer that you like? Or should you choose them from a pre-approved list?
23. Find out whether the venue has food and beverage minimums. In case you don’t meet them, would you have to pay extra?
24. What about liquor – does it have to be purchased through the venue?
25. Will you be charged a corkage or service fee for bringing your own liquor to the venue?
26. Does your venue have an in-house baker?
27. Is the venue near a hotel or rentals where your guests could spend the night?
28. How many weddings/events are allowed per day? You wouldn’t want any crossovers.
29. What about liability insurance? Accidents do happen, so it’s important to be prepared.
30. Does your venue have public transportation nearby?
Before you head on venue tours, it’s important to ask all the critical questions. Time is money, so you don’t want to waste yours on wedding locations that can’t accommodate your needs.
If you’re looking for the perfect wedding venue in Toronto, Berkeley Events has you covered! We’ll help you in the process every step of the way, ensuring your special day is as fabulous as possible.